A Sedgwick Coat-of-arms SEDGWICKUK.ORG
British Sedgwick Genealogy

Home USA & Australia
Families Library Places
Misc Tools

UK Sedgwicks - Miscellaneous - Derivation
Sedgwick Village 1600's

Evidence has been produced that supports the theory that our name was originally spelled "Siggeswick" or "Seggeswick." The village of Sedgwick in Westmorland used to be called Seggeswick. A map from the mid 1600's shows this spelling.
Article: Derivation of the name Sedgwick

The image below is a portion of a map of "The Countie Westmoreland and Kendale the Cheif Towne" [sic]. The map was drawn by John Speede between 1610 and 1623. The image is from a reproduction purchased from The Old Map Company of Great Britain and used by permission.

Compare to this modern map.

SEDGWICK, a township in the parish of HEVERSHAM, KENDAL ward, county of WESTMORLAND, 4 miles (S.) from Kendal, containing 184 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Independents. A mill for the manufacture of gunpowder was established here about 1770. The river Kent and the Lancaster canal pass through the township. Here is a free school with a trifling endowment.

-A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, S. Lewis and Company, London, 1831, Volume 4 page 33, available at Ancestry.com

PLEASE SEND ANY QUERIES

ABOUT BRITISH SEDGWICKS TO

nicky@sedgwickuk.org


ww1 army records 728x90